Sunday, November 25, 2012

Crochet your own baby room window treatment or curtains


When I was pregnant with my daughter, I was getting a room ready for her.  The walls were painted blue not that long ago, so I really did not want to go through the hassle of re-painting them.  I figured I’ll just add things to make it girly.  I bought blue-purple butterfly wall decals and I fell in love with them right away.  However, I could not find right curtains for the windows.  I decided to sew them myself.  I’m not an expert in sewing, that’s for sure, but I’ve tackled curtains before, so I felt I could do this.  I got pink flowery fabric, got it all done (4 panels for 2 windows), hung it and... I hated it.  What was I thinking choosing such a pink dominant fabric when I don’t even care for color pink!  This girly thing must have gotten into my head..  So for the next couple of weeks, I was trying to figure out what to do and then I got it..  I already did a large crochet butterfly as a wall hanging for the room so why not make colorful crochet flowers and saw them to plain white curtains?

I ended up making flowers and little butterflies.  When I was done, I realized that it was missing something..  Once I added stems and leaves, I was satisfied.  I also made some extra flowers and butterflies and glued them to a white nightstand lamp shade I bought.
It took me awhile to accomplish this task (finished it after my baby girl was already here), but it was worth it. I love it.  



I used quite a few patterns I found online.  Some of them are no longer available, but for those I can still find, I’m passing the links here.

Everything, including stems were made using Royale Fashion Crochet Thread Size #3.







Bold Bloom and Sunny Flower are from "Crochet Embellishments" by Jean Leinhauser.



I made the stems using a basic chain stitch.  You can find a tutorial on Sarah's Hand Embrioidery Tutorials website.  






These orchid flowers were designed by Josi Hannon Madera

I cannot find the original website where I got this butterfly from, but similar pattern is all over the internet.  Here's one place where I found it with video tutorials.  For the body, I made a chain and wrapped it around the middle and tied it at the top using the ends as the antennas.







I did not capture all the flowers, but a few of them including this rose were made using patterns from a great website MyPicot.com 







I hope this gives you ideas to create crochet curtains in your home!


Have a colorful day!






No comments:

Post a Comment